Better Than Leaving It to the Taxpayers

Better Than Leaving It to the Taxpayers

I’ll bet I’m the first among my circle of friends and acquaintances to stumble upon a web site with the unlikely name of “NerdWallet”.

Nevertheless, an article on the site informed me that private employers — only a few at the moment — are starting to offer assistance to employees with student debt balances.

Beats leaving it to the taxpayer, and I elaborate here.

2 Comments
  • Joseph Rafter

    March 12, 2016 at 9:32 am

    When I worked at Boeing, I went to Widener Night School. As a benefit Boeing paid for my tuition as long as I had at C plus grade. If not, the cost was on me. I never paid for a class. Admittedly it was a real challenge, but it worked for me.
    I wonder if current companies have a similar benefit?

  • Vic Brown

    March 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm

    Joe, I did the same thing when I got my MBA at Temple. FMC paid 75% each semester, and then reimbursed me the remaining 25% when I got the degree.

    I also made sure I never got a grade below “B”. In fact, if I ever got an “A” I knew that I had spent too much time on the class — I was traveling my brains out, having children, etc, etc.